Sunday, November 22, 2009

Divided

There's a common recipe ingredient list instruction, where the amount of something that you need will be given followed by the word "divided"; e.g. 1 3/4 cups sugar, divided. I tend to screw this up myself, since I often kind of cook from the ingredient list without really reading the instructions, so I put in all the sugar when I was only supposed to put in that 3/4 cup. A lot of times I alter the method with my own method, because I know what I'm doing, yeah right. The idea behind the "divided" instruction is that it's better for the recipe to lay out the total amount of an ingredient needed right at the outset. There are other styles of recipe writing; Joy of Cooking tends to give ingredients embedded in the method, like the lebkuchen recipe I just followed which begins:

Cook
2/3 cup honey or molasses
1/3 cup sugar
3 TBLS butter
over low heat stirring until the butter is melted

Stir in 1 cup flour
that has been sifted with 1/2 tsp baking powder, 1/4 tsp baking powder, and a pinch of salt

Add
1 cup flour
1/2 cup chopped almonds
etc. etc.

I made the honey butter syrup, mixed all the other ingredients in a big bowl, then stirred in the syrup. But I had to read the recipe a little carefully to apprehend the fact that it really needed two cups of flour, not just one.

Anyways, I feel kind of like that 1 3/4 cups sugar, divided, right now. I am trying to start cookie season, at the same time as planning Thanksgiving dinner, and it's making my little brain hurt. Thursday night I made my master list of cookie kinds, and yesterday I went shopping partly for cookie ingredients, and partly for Thanksgiving food.

This morning I got up and walked, then baked some scones, to eat today and to have around when family shows for Thanksgiving, and made the lebkuchen. But I'm also making the list of Thanksgiving apps, and taking time off tomorrow to clean and straighten the house like my bro's doing at his place.

The main thing I can't figure out is where to stash all the cooking mags and recipes I have pulled out for cookie season, when I go into total tidying mode tomorrow. Usually I just leave them on the dining room table for the duration, but that won't work with this year's divided cookie season, with Thanksgiving in the middle.

I am soo confused.

1 comment:

Suzy said...

Welcome to the world of a kindergarten teacher!