Friday, July 24, 2009

This year -

I remembered my mom's yahrzeit, or anniversary of her death, but I didn't do anything about it except think. She died July 22nd, 2004 - so it's been 5 years. I didn't light a candle, didn't eat her favorite foods, didn't call my kids and tell them to remember their Oma that day. I still have two big trees of broccoli in the fridge that I was going to steam and eat with salad dressing, maybe over a bunch of arugula; what she called "my leafs" - and drink some cold white wine with it. But I was too tired when I got home on Wednesday night, and I made grilled ham & cheese sandwiches, and ate them with leftover hash brown potatoes - all very UN-momlike - too much grease, too much starch.

Good thing my brother had a nice I-remember-mom lunch for all of us that day.

And maybe we'll have that broccoli and salad tonight - mom wouldn't have minded - she would've just turned up her nose at the sandwiches and potatoes on Wednesday, and eaten something else - and be happy to share, or even eat most of, the broccoli today. <grin>

No comments: