Monday, July 20, 2009

Standing on the moon

Both newspapers that come to our house - at least for now - ran the photo of Buzz Aldrin standing on the moon. I remember watching it, sitting in front of the TV with my brother and my parents, back when there was network television, and we all watched stuff at the same time. It was the summer I turned 14, between 8th grade and high school - we didn't call it middle school then - the 7th and 8th grades were just the top two floors of the elementary school.

It made me want to hear this Grateful Dead song, "standing on the moon" - which I always have thought was more about the isolation of the road for musicians, drug use, and illness, not to mention the war atrocities in El Salvador, than it was about the glory of the US space program - but still. It was written in the late 1980s, after Jerry Garcia had come back from a diabetic coma - and I think Robert Hunter had a kid that died, but I can't find proof of that right now.

Looked for the song in the Internet Archive, and they performed it at Alpine Valley, the summer of 1989; here's the whole show - this is audience so you can download it. I must've been at this one, it would've been when I was in library school, and we would have had to get a baby sitter for both kids.

No comments: