Wednesday, March 04, 2009

Poor Man's Baked Alaska

This was last night's adventure into late evening cooking - and continuing to try out the fixed lens.

When I got home, I had some chocolate sauce in the fridge. Late last winter, I bought myself Alice Medrich's Pure Dessert Cookbook, and it turned out to have [basically] the recipe for chewy chocolate sauce I once made by a fluke and have been trying to recreate. In the book, the recipe calls for heavy cream; I think the flavor of the cream interferes with the choclate, and I like it best with milk or half & half. It's super easy - Combine 1/2 cup cocoa and 1/2 cup sugar in a pot. Add a few TBLS from a 1/2 cup milk, cream, or half & half, and blend to a paste, then stir in the rest of the the liquid. Put the pot on the stove over medium heat, and stir in 3 TBLS butter, cut into pieces. Stir until the butter is melted and the sugar is dissolved, and it's done.

I decided to make a Sundae - we had vanilla frozen yogurt - and I decided that I'd broil some marshmallows on top of the ice cream and chocolate sauce, and it would be sort of like baked Alaska, or at least not quite as cold as just a dish of ice cream.

It turned out pretty good - at least, after eating it, I was satisfied enough that all I needed was a cup of tea to get me to bedtime. Of course, I did eat a few extra marshmallows while waiting for the ones on top of the ice cream to brown.

No comments: