Monday, September 08, 2008

Big Sur Breakfast Pizza

For brunch at the house yesterday, I made Big Sur Breakfast Pizza, topped with bacon & egg, from the Big Sur Bakery, via the NYT Mag from a few weeks back; it was kick ass. I made a few modifications to the recipe to make it easier for me; I do not have a pizza peel or a stone, so I just shaped the dough on parchment on a sheet pan, instead of shaping on my floured peel and following tricky-sounding instruction "#6 Shake the pizza peel slightly to make sure the dough is not sticking. Carefully lift any sections that are sticking and sprinkle a bit more flour underneath, then slide the pizza directly onto the baking stone in one quick forward-and-back motion." I do have a convection oven, albeit a home model, so I never heat it up to 500°, as instructed - I only went to 450°. I didn't cook the bacon in a pan on the stove - why? you're preheating the oven anyways, so I just cooked it in there. And only heating the oven to 450° is probably why my pizza did not have the delicious dark crusty black spots shown in the Times' pic; we ate mine so fast that I never shot it, but believe me the crust was delicious, even without the dark spots.

Dwight Eschliman for The New York Times

















It was so good, I made another batch of the dough, that's right now rising in the fridge, with the intention of becoming Margherita pizza tonight, so maybe I'll get some pictures of that.

No comments: