Wednesday, June 25, 2008

I'm going to Disneyland

The librarians' conference is in Anaheim this year, and I keep thinking of this song, which a few Google searches tells me is from '92 (I wouldn't have thought it was that old), by the band Dada:

I just ran away from home
Now I'm going to Dizz Knee Land
I just crashed my car again
Now I'm going to Dizz Knee Land
I just robbed a grocery store
I'm going to Dizz Knee Land
I just flipped off President George
I'm going to Dizz Knee Land

I'm going to Dizz Knee Land

I just tossed a fifth of gin (cue shot glass)
Now I'm going to Dizz Knee Land
I just got cuffed again
I'm going to Dizz Knee Land, yeah
Shot my gun into the night
I'm going to Dizz Knee Land, oh
I just saw a good man die
I'm going to Dizz Knee Land, come on

I'm going to Dizz Knee Land (Hey... What?)

(solo)

Kicked my ass out of school
Rolled me out into the streets
Hitched a ride on a monkey's back
Headed west into the black

I'm going to Dizz Knee Land
I'm going to Dizz Knee Land, yeah, yeah
I'm going to Dizz Knee Land, oooh
I'm going to Dizz Knee Land, yeah, yeah, yeah

(kick-ass solo)



But, yeah, its satiric approach is pretty much how I feel, though I know I'm being a lot too much like my [ungrateful] children when they said, "aw jeez mom, why do we hafta go to California ... and go skiing ...why can't we just stay here with our friends" over Christmas break when they went to see their dad.

I should feel good about it, after all Disneyland's a 1955 baby, just like me. I've been there once before, when I was 12, probably the perfect age - I remember enjoying the Pirates of the Caribbean ride a lot before it was ever a movie [and now that I've looked up its history, I think it was branny new at that time; fall of 1967]. I think because we had done the slightly creepy It's a small world thing while it was out on loan to the World's Fair in New York City in 1964, we did not go on that ride - and I hear it's closed now, anyways, we're too fat, fatter than we were in the 1960s when it was built, and the boats need to be upgraded to carry our greater heft.


Yesterday I was in our department library, and asked the library director if she was going; when she said not, I said "lucky you", and the student worker came over to ask how come she was lucky to NOT have to go to an interesting city and talk to tons of librarians. I replied that the problem was that on Saturday morning when all the cool programs are happening, I will be stuck in a Board meeting; and I also worry about those ungrateful children, who have a tendency to get in trouble whenever I go away ....

No comments: