Saturday, December 29, 2007

The saga continues

John & Al were 'sposed to be coming back from San Francisco today - they were scheduled to arrive in Milwauke at something like 11:47 p.m.

We had a couple of sketchy plans for how they'd get back to Madison, including I'd drive a car down there and leave it in the long term parking for them - but it was going to have to be the VW bug, since tat was the only one they had keys for - which is not as good for highway driving in the snow or otherwise as our other Volkswagon, a Passat wagon. And I was reluctant to commit to the three hours or so this maneuver would cost me, especially because I had a dinner party at the supper club. (they're lingering over wine as a write; the coffee pot had some kind of deadly malfunction ...) One alternate plan was that they'd take a cab to John's apartment in Milwaukee and I'd get them in the morning. And we also were holding in reserve the idea that the dinner party would wrap up by 10:00, and I am only about 5 minutes from the I-94 on-ramp, so I could just run down and get them.

This is what has actually come to pass - we got about 5 inches of snow in Madison yesterday, and something like 65% of the flights in and out of Chicago O'Hare canceled - so when they got to the San Francisco airport, their flight out was already so delayed that they would've spent the night on the floor of the Minneapolis airport.

So now they are re-booked on the duct-tape & chewing gum airline, American, leaving S.F at 1:00 a.m., through Dallas, and into Milwaukee at 10:30 tomorrow. Even though it's American, there's no snow between Frisco and Dallas, and Dallas is an American hub. So chances are all the flights will go - knock wood.

Meanwhile, idly searching the Internet Archive while waiting for my diners to pack up, I found a recording of the the Dead playing Robyn Hitchcock's Chinese Bones, with Suzanne Vega singing. huh - never knew about that before.

No comments: