Tuesday, June 06, 2006

This weekend was lovely

And what is so rare as a day in June?
Then, if ever, come perfect days;
Then Heaven tries earth if it be in tune,
And over it softly her warm ear lays:
Whether we look, or whether we listen,
We hear life murmur, or see it glisten;
James Russell Lowell (1819–1891), U.S. poet.
I did not cook a whole lot - Friday I got my hair colored, which takes forever; Saturday morning I went to a running race (Race for the Cure), and that evening, there was a neighborhood block party, that I took a tray of veggies & dip to. And it was not entirely without culinary pursuits - I had a good conversation with a neighbor who is a successful personal chef, about food biz stuff, and I got to review the current styles in potluck party salads - there was one of the ramen noodles ones (I made one Sunday, and it was good, but I left out large parts of the sugar and oil that I think make these salads so irresisitable ...) and a good pasta salad (although I know to purists that is an oxymoron) with sun-dried tomatoes and olives and basil, and many with corn and black beans, and even carpaccio, with mayonaise - I had never seen it served that way before, but the definition says it's OK.

No comments: