Friday, June 09, 2006

Potlucks

Wednesday I went to the end-of-season, after-the-last-game potluck for my sweetheart's son's soccer team, complete with the coach presents - made more fun because their coach was off to Germany to follow the World Cup the next day - and cake with soccer balls on it. There was another ramen salad, making me still more determined to perfect my own recipe for the darn things; I have a plan for combining the best aspects of a couple of recipes, so I will report soon. We made subs, and they were good, but too bready using big fat loaves of supermarket Italian bread, so of course the kids went for the ones from Subway - still only about 2/3 of the 2nd of the two loafs of sub that we made was leftover.

Last night I made pasta, with really hot sausage, and really bitter greens, tempered by mild goat cheese - and I stopped at the corner sub shop and bought day old bread to make the garlic toast - 2 loaves for less than $2 - and that made me realize that that's the bread we shoulda used for the soccer team subs. Oh, well hindsight's always 20/20, right?

No comments: