Thursday, September 17, 2009

UN-Kosher Rosh Hashanah Dessert

But only with a meat meal - and that's what we're having - brisket, of course.

On the request of my hostess for Rosh Hashanah dinner, I made dessert. And because she said her daughter'd make honey cake, I made trifle.

I had extra milk, because of buying a gallon for a yellow jacket trap, so I made vanilla pudding. And I had raspberry sauce in the basement that needed to get used - I extracted one innocuous-looking white spot of mold, tasted, decided it was fine, and put it in. I baked a 1-layer yellow cake last night, crumpled that up, and doused it with a syrup made from sugar, water, and poire william. I bought some fresh raspberries for topping, and thought I'd make some dark chocolate shavings. Right before layering it, I folded some sour cream into the pudding, and now with that extra cream in, I'm not sure if I should top the trifle with whipped cream, or not. Guess I'll just take everything with me, and we'll see. Can't imagine that anyone will turn down whipped cream.

So - we ate it with whipped cream and chocolate shavings and raspberries. And the honeycake. It was a wet pudding-y trifle, although I guess that makes no sense in British, where pudding just means dessert - trifle being a very British dessert,.

I also made cauliflower sauteed in olive oil with parsley, a round challah, and veggie broth, with corn cobs, parsley stems, a bunch of basil that had been in the fridge since last Weds, that I had only used a few leafs of, cherry tomatoes. I strained the veggie broth, and I just now braved the yellow jackets in the compost pile, under cover of darkness, dumped all the scraps, and did not get stung.

Happy New Year!

No comments: