Friday, May 08, 2009

One down

My older son's graduating from art school tomorrow, so I am off for Milwaukee for two days, to celebrate. People have been asking me if I am freaking out over having a kid that old, and it's not so much that as worry about money, and health insurance. I'm afraid I won't be able to help him make his way in the world as much as my dad helped me - I know I won't be able to! I miss the little kid he once was, and that feeling's connected to my sadness over the loss of my own youth. I'm nostalgic for when we were young - life seemed easier - and my dad was alive, and I wasn't so crushingly worried about running out of money. I wish I didn't have to be the matriarch of the family now that the world economy has collapsed.

But what to do except keep on - last night I tried out some yogurt tarts from a 101 Cookbooks, Heidi Swanson recipe - they were really good; in fact I am going to eat this one for breakfast, real soon now - but I did not have such small cute tins to make such small cute tarts as Heidi did - and I should've photographed them when it was still light, but even the light doesn't make up for the fact that I am not even close to being the photographer that Heidi is - she's a pro.

No comments: