Wednesday, October 15, 2008

Cooking for newborns

Or their families, really. Anna and Josh's Lewis got born on Friday at about 8:30 at night. It was as I suspected during my weekend of fretting - us work colleagues were just a little low on the list of people to get notified of his arrival (Anna emailed at 12:40 a.m. Monday) which, in the grand scheme of things, is how it should be.

We get to go over and visit a bit this afternoon, so I made food Monday evening to take (and clean out my fridge, since I am off to Ohio for a librarians' meeting tomorrow) - a broccoli and bacon quiche, and these cute stuffed squash - stuffed with breadcrumbs, fried peppers & onions, and butter.

While I was cooking I was reminded that last year around this time, Rach and I made food to take to Nick & Katie, after their son Odin got born.

I see that I said last year that I had a good day because I cooked, got to hold a baby, and did yoga. Maybe this is a good week - I got to admire and make funny faces at a baby, Oscar, on Monday - in his dad's front pack, he had sleepy almond eyes, and long curly hair - and I got to cook, and today, maybe I'll get to hold another baby.

For some reason, I've been missing my mom this week - wishing she was here, to make it seem like not only is everything going to be fine, it's going to be fun. The only logical reason I can come up with is that this must be the season of the year when I turned to her for comfort - later in the fall, when school started getting hard, or something ... or maybe it's just my own latent grandma tendencies, getting less latent.

No comments: