Thursday, September 04, 2008

More fun with the iPhone

I have been a proud (hmm, maybe that's a bit much, maybe just "owner" will do) of an iPhone for about two weeks; I purchased mine on August 18th.

It's been a bit of a learning curve; I had been using both a Palm and a cell phone, and for many of the applications on my Palm, I do not own the computer desktop part, so getting all my info from the Palm to the iPhone has been tricky. And there are those brain busting syncing questions. Some things on the iPhone sync though iTunes - in other words, you have no control over whatever the hell it's doing with your computer - and some sync over wireless.

I thought I was doing pretty good, but then on Saturday of labor day weekend I wiped out my carefully customized grocery database (I have been using Splashopper on the Palm since 2002, so as you can imagine, I have made a great many additions and deletions to the generic list Splashshopper provides (they give you a list that says "crackers" and mine has "Akmak", "rice crackers" "triscuits" and so on ....) But eventually I got that all restored, and I think I have a means now to make sure I don't destroy it again - only sync to the work computer though iTunes; only sync Splashopper over wireless to the home Mac. (though of course this does mean that I may be doing some non-work related stuf on work time <grin> ... like making ringtones)

And today I made a couple of ring tones - that God damned Marimba was stuck in my brain - so now my phone can either ring Scarlet Begonias (Grateful Dead Live at Barton Hall, Cornell University on 1977-05-08), or R.E.M.'s Pretty Persuasion. The Pretty Persuasion ringtone file has a fancier icon because it's purchased; the Dead show's from the Internet Archive.

No comments: