Monday, November 19, 2007

The joys of drinking at home

So last night I exceeded my 2-drink limit, but not by much - I mixed a 3rd Manhattan, but only drank about half of it. And I just cleaned up the kitchen and put myself to bed at about 9:30 - both kids called at about 9:45 and were flabbergasted that I was already in bed. They were fighting about whether Al should leave the Bug by John's apartment, or take it back and try to find parking by his dorm. I was not Solomon-like at all, half-asleep, more than half drunk, and trying to negotiate multicall on my cell phone, without my glasses on, which as everyone knows, means that I couldn't hear right ... they'll work it out, though - I talked to them both today, and the Bug's only gotten 1 parking ticket so far.

After all, drinking at home has a lot of advantages, no puking or saying stupid things out in public - but since I conked out so early, I woke up at 2:00 and couldn't fall back asleep until 4:00 - guess I'll sleep well tonight. And I still had that embarrassed feeling all day today, just the same as if I'd been more publicly drunken.

We got to eat the Bolognese tonight, with a different fouccacia recipe that required rising in the fridge for 12 hours. I liked both - the foucaccia has a really good flavor from the long rise, and maybe the Bolognese has umami, since it has veal in it - I got email from NPR today saying that one of their most emailed stories of November is about Escofffier and veal stock and umami.

Oh, yeah and the washer is fixed, only $63.30 - it just had a wire knocked loose from too much bumping with an oversize load.

No comments: