Sunday, September 30, 2007

Last Foraging Dinner

I'm not sure what was in the air this weekend, but I didn't get to any of the stuff on my list of to-do's, and I got a call from John Sunday saying that he was feeling like he was just about to start doing really bad in school - he spent the weekend having too much fun, and not working.

On Saturday, I served the last farmers' market foraging dinner to a very nice group of 10 diners - I didn't make any money because over half of them were eating a dinner I donated to the library school library's silent auction - I donated two meals, and the other buyers collected way back in May. But it was a nice evening, anyhow.

The menu:

  • red pepper and pesto individual tarts
  • butternut squash soup, sprinkled with toasted pumpkin seeds, and served with herbed flat bread- I used the recipe for onion nan from Gourmet, but left off the onions, and topped the breads with sage & rosemary - delicious dunked in the soup
  • a big salad with a plain balsamic vinaigrette, garlic-y croutons, feta, and apples
  • a vegetable gratin of potatoes and tomatoes with preserved lemons, garlic, thyme sprigs, and olives
  • a local cheese board:
  • And Maida Heatter's apple kuchen, with one side no raisins for Kirsten, for dessert


No comments: