Friday, May 25, 2007

Memorial Day holiday weekend

I'm sort of at work this morning, till 1:00 or so, playing around with email, and other odds & ends - not too many people here, because of the holiday. It doesn't feel like the start of a relaxing holiday weekend to me, though. I should be feeling accomplished because I got all my grading done for spring semester (I had something like 28 students in 2 courses) but I am going to have an 8-week online course with 60 people, from June 18 - August 12, that I am dreading ...

And I am doing that 2nd graduation party for 26 on Sunday, here's the menu:

  • vegetables and spicey dill dip
  • stuffed mushrooms
  • antipasto platter - pesto, goat cheese, and sun-dried tomato layered torta, marinated artichoke hearts, olives, pickled carrots & cauliflower
  • sliced provolone and cheddar cheese
  • bread & crackers
  • cocktail meatballs
  • Vegetarian penne pasta al arrabiata - spicey tomato sauce, no meat
  • Chicken cacciatore - boneless chicken pieces, sauteed, and then cooked in
  • tomato sauce
  • White rice
  • Garlic toast
  • Tossed green salad
  • Fruit salad
  • Yellow sheet cake: congrats graduate, and ice cream

I probably should not be expecting Memorial Day to be a pleasant holiday, even though for so many of us, it mostly means beer and brats and grilling. The news is all bad, the war drags on, making more and more dead for us to memorialize.

No comments: