Friday, February 16, 2007

Dinner for the soccer parents


Tonight a friend is bringing a group to the supper club house, 7 couples, so 14 people - they say it's the soccer parents that they usually only get to talk to when they are hanging out on the sidelines of their kids' games and they want to have dinner together.

Last night I did most of the cooking; still have some kitchen-lacky-type prep work to do, peeling potatoes and cleaning and blanching greens. It got late, and I got tired (though I did break to watch ER on TV, in between spinning the lettuce during commercials) and I plugged up the drain yet again. Made Mark certain that I should get a plumber to look at the works under the sink; made me certain that I will do the next dinner on a Sunday [and I have to start composting vegetable scraps].

Tonight, the guests are eating:

  • starters - warm crab dip, cheese & crackers, nuts & olives, chex mix (but I use fresh garlic, and no seasoned salt)
  • Nigel chicken - it's marinated in olive oil, balsamic vinegar, herbes de Provence, strip of orange rind, then braised with white beans and leeks
  • garlic mashed potatoes
  • sauteed greens (2 kinds of kale, mustard & escarole)
  • dinner rolls
  • Joel Robuchon (via Patricia Wells) chocolate tart
  • mascarpone cheesecake

No comments: