Wednesday, February 01, 2006

Cooking for the ski trip


The stew, as it looked Thursday morning before being packed off to Up North
So we are going Up North dere to ski (because in this unwintry winter, you have to go Up North to find any snow), and we are bringing Friday night dinner. I decided to make cookies, and rolls, and Nigel's chicken stew, to be served with salad and mashed potatoes, that we'll make when we're up there.

Made some of the cookies last night, and I was pleased to discover that my chocolate chip cookie recipe has the same proportions of butter to sugar to flour that Regan Daley, author of In the Sweet Kitchen, uses - people were talking about her book on 101 cookbooks.

But that was last night - tonight I shopped and made ginger cookies and the rolls and the chicken, and it was just one of those times of cooking when at the end, the kitchen is a mess and I'm really tired and my glasses are covered with grease splatters. Partly it's because I woke up this morning all stuffed up, and also partly the later start. And I had to clean up from the kids lunches just to make room for the ski-trip-cooking-fest, and did not really eat until almost 8:00 p.m. But the chicken does smell great in the oven right now (as far as I can tell). Maybe I'll get a picture in the a.m.

No comments: