Tuesday, February 07, 2006

Another Monday, no it's Tuesday -



Blogger was down last night, so no chance to write a Monday entry - my mind keeps going back to some of the dinner table talk during the ski trip Up North - we talked about boarding house food, and co-op / communal living, and eating. Most of us on the trip were either over 40, or getting real near the end of "30-something", and a good percentage over 50, so I think we were enjoying eating meals with 6 and 10 and 13 at the table. The vision of being a lonely old person with a microwaveable dinner in front of the TV seems a little too close to home ...

I do think a lot about who am I going to cook for, when all my kids move out. Years ago I wanted to start a subscription supper club, the kind of thing where everyone would sign up to eat dinner together once or twice a month, a salon, great conversation, plus food. There was an eating co-op for many years here in the university town where I live - it started as a place for young college men to eat in the 1930s, and went out of business over tax problems sometime in the 1990s. One cook book writer - Martha Rose Shulman - started with a supper club, and this hot new foodie couple - Portland's Hebberoys - started that way, too, serving dinners in their living room, and charging for admission.

Mostly what I think about now is using some inheritance I have recently come into to buy a building, and put in a super-duper (commercially inspectable) kitchen, and see what I can make of it - subscription supper club, parties, renting the space to others, art openings, house concerts, cooking classes ...

No comments: