Monday, May 25, 2009

Memorial day weekend, or the start of grilling season

So Friday was the pasta made from leftovers, Saturday I grilled, and then we went to see the Star Trek movie at a late show. Sunday we ate salad for dinner, and watched Last Chance Harvey, a sweet romantic comedy for aging boomers.

The highlight of Saturday's grilled foods was the little 3-pound chuck eye roast, from Fountain Prairie. I made a spice rub (found in the new June 2009 Gourmet) rubbed the meat with it, and grilled it over indirect coals, 15 minutes per side, covered, no peeking. Worked a charm - crusty crusts, and rosy pink interior. The same Gourmet recommends using the leftover meat in a salad; that just didn't feel right to me last night, but I like the notion of strips of beef and dressed greens rolled up in a tortilla for my lunch at work tomorrow.

Now it's Monday, so the holiday's winding to a close, but I was in PJs till 1:00, so that's something. I still want to make ramen salad, and a rhubarb-strawberry crisp (frozen strawberries from last year, this year's rhubarb).

No comments: