Friday, January 16, 2009

In the deep freeze

As I'm sure every reasonably media-consuming sentient being in the U.S knows, at the moment the Midwest is in the grip of a hard cold snap. We're experiencing double digits below zero and dangerous wind chills, such that we have not sent the kids to school for two days, since when the wind chill's -25°, exposed skin can get frostbitten in 10 minutes - can't have 8-year olds waiting for the bus to school in that - particularly when the city can't promise to get the school buses to the waiting kids in less than 10 minutes.

Yesterday I drove to work for fear of the cold, and because I had to run a noontime errand across town - the walk from my parking spot to my office is 15 minutes, but I can duck through buildings. Today I took the bus, and right now it's all the way up to -4, so I think I'll be able to walk home after work. Especially if I actually start doing some work <grin>, and leave before dark.

No comments: