Wednesday, January 09, 2008

One of those random impressions kinda posts

Man, I really didn't like the sound of Hillary Clinton winning the New Hampshire primary - that "found my own voice" quote had a too sticky feminist empowerment tone, that I heard too much of when I worked at Pleasant Company (a highly successful woman-owned corporation, run by a fabulously mean lady, who now to her credit, has softened considerably, and is giving a lot of her money away, with less strings attached), where it overlaid good old boy naked ambition and greed with the woman coin - that somehow deep down us girls are better than men, even when we are acting just the same ...

McCain vs. Clinton - oh, yuck ....

The other day at the co-op I was in the checkout line after a kid about my son John's age - he was buying a big salad in a clam shell carryout, a tub of hummus & a bag of pita bread, and a juice - I thought, "cool my kid eats like that, too" - even though the amount of throwaway plastic in the kid's grocery order was worrisome, that was only on 2nd thought.

I went to traffic court in Waukesha County with John yesterday - and the Waukesha County Courthouse was a huge building, with an imposing, institutional architecture - John thought it looked like a school or a prison (it probably is a prison). In culture shock, we sat and waited and talked about this arty food mag I had with me, Gastronomica, Sigmund Freud with a hot dog on the current cover, in pink; and photography galleries John went to in San Francisco, while the guards around us talked about a daughter's birthday party and coaching their sons' football.

I listened to some live shows of Robyn Hitchcock I had in my iPod, on the way there and back - at the Knitting factory in NYC, 3/28/2007, the day after my brother's 50th b-day; and 11/25/2006 - an in-store at Easy Street Records in Seattle, and at the now-defunct Crocodile Cafe. I wish I was on that guy's Christmas letter list - I love his stories.

It's really time for some recipes on this food 'blog, huh? I should get to that later today.

3 comments:

Lo said...

Defunct?
The Crocodile?

Deb's Lunch said...

Evidently - it's all over the Seattle newspapers:

12/18/2007 Croc closes: http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/pop/343960_crocodile18.html

1/12.2008 Croc may be getting bought:
http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/localnews/2004121390_croc12.html

Lo said...

Yes, I see.
Am just very sad about that. I think the Croc is a bit iconic for me...