Sunday, March 18, 2007

Spring weather I like


This weekend we have been having really nice spring weather, in my opinion - sunny, highs in the 30s and 40s, and down to the 20s at night, so that the mud's all frozen when you go for a walk in the morning. The trees are still bare, but the light is getting summery (this picture was actually taken in WI in January, but you get the idea - the person who photographed it liked it because January looked like March in it -)

I still haven't been having much luck with having enough eaters for what I have been cooking - Saturday I did some recipe testing for the REAP cookbook, and made a loaf of fat-free (with applesauce) cranberry bread, that is OK, but unlikely to get eaten around here - but the type of thing that will get eaten if I take it to work tomorrow. I also made a broccoli salad, with peapods, radishes, red onions, kidney beans and a Dijon mustard dressing. This was even better than OK, and even though it's also not the kind of thing to get eaten around here - except by me - I can take it for lunch.

Seemingly continuing in this trend of no one showing up to eat, as an alum of UW-Madison, I was supposed to cook a dinner for students next Tuesday, but no one signed up. This would have been my 3rd dinner for WASB, the WI Alumni Student Board. I am not heartbroken over this one though - as I told the student who called to let me know I didn't have any eaters for the Tuesday dinner, that's the thing with volunteering - if it comes off, you get to do it, but if not, you don't have to. I had not cooked anything yet, and I am still on the host list for the next set of dinners which will be in the fall.

I was going to make the shreddy-beef enchiladas, and corn-black bean ones for vegetarians, with flan and store cookies for dessert - and maybe test another REAP dessert recipe on the kids. This one sounds kind weird - it's a strawberry-rhubarb cobbler, but the dough is made from melted vanilla ice cream, vanilla yogurt, and flour - no eggs, no leavening, hmmm ......

No comments: