Tuesday, January 16, 2007

Real winter


Sledders
Image ID: WHi-7109
(Wisconsin Historical Society collection)
Today we're having a real Wisconsin winter day - it snowed yesterday, and today it's really cold and clear. I've been wearing long underwear since yesterday, I shoveled snow two times yesterday, once this morning, and will again this afternoon.

I've been trying to cook sort of as if we were snowed in, use what's around, don't buy anything - Sunday night when I got back from not-skiing, I made a vegetable barley soup with all the veggies in the bin, a little parsley, carrots, celery, onions, and some canned green beans and dried wild mushrooms, with chicken broth and tomato paste and parmesan rinds boiled in it. Last night, I made mac & cheese and salami and cheese paninni (I did buy skim milk, and a loaf of bread ...) using up the ends of the fancy cheeses & salami from the holidays, and salad with the last few lettuce leaves and the canned green beans.

No comments: