Tuesday, October 17, 2006

Sunday supper



On Sunday, I made a real Sunday supper - roasted a chicken (organic supermarket, I wanted to do one of the big fat chickens I can get from the old hippie farmer at the Saturday market, but he was too taken up in coversation with other customers, and I was not in the mood to be agressive enough to get him to wait on me) and scalloped potatoes with ham, and green beans, and a tarte tatin.

I roasted the chicken on a bed of odds & ends of veggies from the fridge, a nice red pepper from my CSA box, and some onions and a couple of carrots, sliced them up and tossed them with a little olive oil & thyme. When the chicken was done, at John's suggestion, I pureed the veggies, and strained them for nice sauce. John helped me snap the green beans, and then they were cooked in olive oil that he had fried a clove of garlic in. And the scalloped potatoes were the late Laurie Colwin's cuisine de la slob rafine, the refined slob, you just boil the potatoes in milk, dump them in the baking dish, put crumbs on top, and bake. The tarte tatin was from Waitrose Food, and it was good, except a little too runny - when I was caramalizing the apples, I wanted them to cook, so I put a lid on, and I think that meant the apple juices did not reduce enough.

And the pictures I took were once again not in focus, so we have this Laurie Colwin book cover instead.

No comments: