Thursday, August 03, 2006

Not liking much of anything


This summer I am in the grip of some weird kind of malaise where I don't like much of anything, most of all myself. I think it has something to do with how I am feeling about watching my body age - somehow, it doesn't seem right to me for a person with such ugly, spider-veined, white and puckery middle-age thighs to experience pleasure. I don't know how I got caught up in such a puritanical vise, but there it is. I have had similar feelings on and off since turning about 45 - mostly relating to sexuality and attractiveness. I have had discussions with other middle-aged women friends, and you stand in front of mirror, and put clothes on and take them off, and for us it's not "hot" vs. "not-hot"; rather it's "hot" vs. "ridiculous". None of us wants to be the old lady in the too-short skirt.

My brother recently wrote a nice post about feeling lucky for having such a nice life. I have an equally nice life - though he's got the summer off this year, and I am feeling overworked and over-stressed, teaching an online class with 44 students, and buying a 2nd house, and worrying about my teen-aged sons - so I suspect his sense of well-being is a little more elevated than mine. But anyways, I should be liking things a little more.

Cooking is still pretty fun, and I do like taking pictures of the food. I made a really good lasagna last night, from Deborah Madison's Vegetarian Cooking for Everyone, with chard and eggplant in it, along with the more usual ricotta, mozzarella, noodles, and tomato sauce.

No comments: