Saturday, March 25, 2006

Back home, and what to cook

The cover of the March Gourmet is lasagne bolognese, and I took the magazine with me to Boston, so I looked at it a lot - the recipe is from an article called "Mario's Excellent Adventure" - in preparation for opening a new restaurant, Mario Batali took his staff on an eating trip to Italy, and this lasagne is one thing they ate.

On the plane ride home today, I started thinking about what to make for dinner - my older son had reported that the house was not too trashed after my absence, but there was absolutely nothing to eat or drink in it.

The Gourmet recipe includes instructions for making the Bolognese sauce AND the pasta, and there is a Besciamella, Italian bechamel, too. I realized that I had a batch of Bolognese sauce in the freezer, and so by thawing that and buying a package of fresh spinach lasagna, I could make it - a fine dinner despite coming home to empty cupboards.

No comments: